[CH] Language done be bad

mstevens@exit109.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:14:28 GMT

At 10:32 AM 2/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi C-H's,
>horrible I know, but what can one do? The Western English speaking
>world is fast turning into an intellectual desert and I believe the
>low standards accepted in advertising, broadcasting, political
>speaking and email are largely to blame. Sorrry. Now I'm ranting.

Actually language is a continually growing, living thing.  The changes that are
accelerating within the English language now are just reflecting the growing
changes that are shaping the society we live in.  You can make it as
intellectual as you want, there have been folks complaining about the purity of
the spoken word as long as there has been a spoken word (My Fair Lady comes to
mind).  You may not like the result but to try to stop it or hold onto the
"good old days" means it's just going to blow past you.  Of course we could go
the French route and set up a government agency to ensure National Purity in
language.  Set up lists designating what word usage was "proper."   Monitor all
the media and dictate the percentage of non-approved grammer will be tolerated
(shut down Fox Network...).  I'm sure if Bush would hold off on that tax cut we
could fund it...   :-)

=Mark