Re: [CH] Best Way to Grind Dried Chiles?

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:03:56 -0600

Sharon Confer wrote:

> Hi, I'm having problems grinding the dried habaneros
> that I grew and dried.  I'm using a food processor and
> I'm having a hard time breathing when I grind them.  I
> wear a safety/comfort mask and I grind them outside,
> but the dust from the chiles is terrible even with the
> mask.  Would a regular blender work better, would
> there be less chile dust? I've tried a small mini
> blender and that didn't work very well.  Any help as
> to how I can grind the chiles without all that pain
> would be appreciated!  Thanks, Sharon

I use a Proctor-Silex coffee grinder (around U$15) and find it does a
nice job. And, since the top pretty much seals the stuff inside I
haven't had a lot of trouble.... except when my sister was over and
wanted to make coffee. I have a white Braun coffee grinder that I use
exclusively for coffee. And the P - S is very dark. And I told her to
"Use the Braun." .... you can see where this is going, can't you.
Fortunately Sis is also a chile head and the last chilies I had ground
were some japones.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider