Re: [CH] Best Way to Grind Dried Chiles?

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:18:07 -0500

At 9:13 PM -0500 2/18/02, Sharon Confer wrote:
>Hi, I'm having problems grinding the dried habaneros
>that I grew and dried.  I'm using a food processor and
>I'm having a hard time breathing when I grind them.  I
>wear a safety/comfort mask and I grind them outside,
>but the dust from the chiles is terrible even with the
>mask.  Would a regular blender work better, would
>there be less chile dust? I've tried a small mini
>blender and that didn't work very well.  Any help as
>to how I can grind the chiles without all that pain
>would be appreciated!  Thanks, Sharon

I usually use a small coffee grinder.  It grinds things to a true powder
consistancy, and is convenient to grind only the ammount I want (remember,
with all herbs/spices that are dried and ground, the more air contact for
the longer period of time the more the flavor degrades.  If you keep them
dried and whole the flavors will remain more intense, as there will be less
surface area for the oils to "leak" out) for whatever i'm making at the
moment.  As an added bonus, at least the one I have, very little chile dust
makes it out of the grinder, at least until you're done grinding and remove
the lid...

I paid about $15 for mine at meijer...

Chad Gard, KB9WXQ
INCHASE: http://www.inchase.org  Co-founder