Re: [CH] SWEET, SWEET, HABANERO WINE

Dan McFeeley (mcfeeley@keynet.net)
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:37:56 -0600

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Fred the habaneronut wrote:

> O.K., I got so much good info from my query about shading peppers that
>I've got to throw another one out here.   I just noticed on my bottle of
>habanero mash that "1/10 of 1% sodium benzate added to halt
>fermentation".  Does that mean that I can take some pureed habs, add
>some sugar and yeast and cme out with habanero wine?  Anyone ever tried
>to ferment chilis?  Got any recipes?

Oh yeah, it's been done lots of times.  Check out Jack Keller's Winemaking
pages for a good recipe for jalepeno wine.  It's at:

    http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques32.asp

I just made a smoked chile pepper mead, or honey wine, which came out quite
nice, good honey balance, chile and smoke flavor, even won a silver medal at
the Indy International Wine Competion.  That surprised me.  I didn't think
the
judges would be able to get it past their palates!

Dan McFeeley
mcfeeley@keynet.net