RE: [CH] Rocotos

Rob.Pieters@honeywell.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 04:40:25 -0700

Hi just my two cents,

Rocoto here at my place is one of the quick growing seedlings.
They pop up 12 day's after I put them in the ground without any treatment.
I do water them first time with a few drops of bleach in the water to keep
the mole out.
No tricks no heating just at around 18-20 deg C.
end of the season there around 0,7 meters high.

Hot regards
Rob NL

  -----Original Message-----
  From: David Cook [mailto:zeb@austin.rr.com]
  Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 12:12 AM
  To: Jose Cisneros; Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
  Subject: Re: [CH] Rocotos

  > Hey Chile-heads,
  >
  > I would like to offer Cameron once again my thanks
  > for sending me a pkt of Rocotos seeds.

  I have to send out a thanks, too, but to Nick in Australia
  for the rocoto
  seeds. I just went out the hothouse and the first ones were breaking
  through. Took them about 2 weeks to show. Now if I don't kill
  them before I
  get them in the ground.

  > Is there something I could do to help promote the
  germination of these
  seeds?

  I soaked them in 10% bleach water for almost two days.
  Bleached the black
  color right out of the seeds!

  > Is there something I could do to promote growth?
  > The plant is very hardy, in spite of its slow growth.
  > After last year's garden season I brought it inside, it had
  been slowly
  > mulling over the idea of actually becoming something other
  than a sprout
  as
  > it sat there in it's four inch peat pot.

  Sounds like you might want to transplant it to a bigger pot
  and fertilize it
  a little when spring comes on. It will be fairly dormant
  during the winter.

  David "Zeb" Cook