RE: [CH] chile beans

Goslowsky, George (gjgoslow@intergraph.com)
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:46:59 -0500

Miss Dewi,

  This is a recipe that I LOVE for Black Bean soup.  If you try it I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. B-)

Black Bean Soup

2 large	onions, diced (about 2 cups)
4 cloves	garlic, minced
2 tbsp	canola oil (I use chile oil)
1 lb		dried, black beans
4 cups	ham, fully cooked, cubed
8 cups	chicken broth
2 tbsp	red chiles, ground, preferably cayenne, japone or de Arbols
2 tbsp	cilantro, fresh, snipped
1 tbsp	oregano, dried (I use Mexican)
2 tsp		cumin, ground
1 can		whole tomatoes, undrained (about 28 oz)
1 1/2 tbsp	Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup		green chiles, diced, preferably cayenne
4 oz		canned green chiles w/juice
1 tbsp	adobo powder

In a heavy Dutch oven, saute' onion and garlic in oil until tender.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Heat to boiling.  Boil for 2 minutes, and then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours.

Pour 1/4 of the soup in a food processor/blender fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth.  A blender works the best of the two machines.  Repeat with another 1/4 of the soup.

Makes 10 servings of about 1.5 cups each.

George J. Goslowsky
Monk of the TCS
Holder of Fire

Run to light from shadow, Sun gives me no rest
Promise offered in the East, broken in the West