Re: [CH] Soil question

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:08:17 -0500

Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> If the garden spot has been a dump site, I would advise replacing the soil
> if possible, just because you don't really know what else may have been
> tossed there.  Maybe the previous owners only tossed bbq ashes, maybe more
> than that.  ...

  Upon further examination this past weekend, the only other things that seem
to really be in there are chives up the wazoo; and one lonely scallion with
three stalks.  Both of which seem to be far too advanced for the weather here
in S.E. WI; which leads me to believe they must be very cold tolerant, and grow
well with just the slightest amount of sun.  I understand that chives spread
quite easily, and that certainly is the case here, as there are even very small
patches in flower beds twenty feet from what appears to have been the previous
owner's vegetable garden.

--
Erich
C-H # 2099