[CH] Old Recipes

Bill & Linda Moats (moats@valint.net)
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:26:37 -0700

I was just sitting around dreaming of chiles when I said to myself, "Self, I
wonder who has the oldest recipes saved from the chile-heads list". Well
here's mine. Any older ones? I'll bet there are!

Bill Moats
Pau Hana Farm

From: "Colonel I.F.K. Philpott" <colonel@korat1.vu-korat.ac.th>

Subject: [THAI] khing dong (pickled ginger)
Date: Thursday, July 18, 1996 9:03 PM

This is a simple pickling recipe for ginger. The resultant pickle can be
eaten with meats and poultry. It is also eaten on its own as a snack,
and even on ice cream (!)

Ingredients

2 pounds of fresh ginger

2 cups of water
2 cups of vinegar (preferably rice vinegar)
one and a half cups of sugar
quarter a cup of salt
half a teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

method

Peel the ginger and then slice it thinly, cutting larger slices into
smallish pieces. Rub with the baking soda and allow to stand whilst
preparing the pickling liquor.

Boil the water, and stir in and fully dissolve the sugar. Next dissolve
in the salt, allow to cool, and add the vinegar, stirring thoroughly.

Place the ginger in a one quart preserving jar, and fill with the
liquor, seal and keep in a cool place for at least two weeks before
using.

--
Colonel Ian F. Khuntilanont-Philpott
<colonel@korat1.vu-korat.ac.th>