Date: Sun, 12 Jun 1994 14:31:13 PDT
From: Mike Bowers <mikeb@radonc.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Chile con queso

Chile con Queso (from scratch!)

2 Tbs butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
black pepper
3 or 4 peeled canned tomatos, or 2 peeled fresh tomatos
2/3 C whole roasted green chiles
8 oz white cheese - Monterey Jack is ok
3 oz cream cheese, diced
1/2 - 2/3 C cream

Warm cheese to room temperature.  Melt butter in small saucepan, add
onion and garlic, cover and sweat for 5 minutes over low heat.
Meanwhile, place the tomatos, green chiles, cumin and pepper in a food
processor and chop throughly (don't puree).  Add tomato mixture to pan,
cook at medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until most of the water has
evaporated.

Remove pan from heat, add cheese and stir until melted.  Add cream to
thin as needed.  If you need to rewarm the dip use very low heat to
avoid breaking down the cheese.  Serve with tortilla chips, or flour
tortillas

                                                Cheers,

                                                YK Jim