Re: [CH] Rocoto help needed

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Fri, 10 May 2002 16:19:31 -0400

Love2Troll wrote:
> First time grower of Rocoto.  Have 1 red, 1 orange and 5 yellow seedlings.
>
> "Peppers of the World" states that blossoms MUST be pollinated by ANOTHER plant in order to bear fruit.  Which means to me that another blossom on the same plant wouldn't do the job.  I wonder why not?

My single red Rocoto spends winter in the dining room and summer on
the porch.  It didn't really take off until I moved it to its
current 2 1/2 gallon pot.  Now I keep it trimmed to 7' tall and
about 2' in diameter - the constant trimming seems to keep the plant
fuller, and I root the trimmings to produce more plants to give
away.

I use a soft artist's paint brush to do the pollinating, and get
lots of fruit from a single, assisted self pollinated plant (I don't
know if that is legal in some Southern States...)   The seeds from
these peppers seem to grow in the normal manner.

Good luck with your Rocotos!

Bob