RE: [CH] jambalaya recipe??

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:51:31 -0400

Signe --

I have been following a few of the other posts and will not bore you with my
recipe (e-mail me off-list if really interested) which is largely similar to
those already posted.  However, I will go over my general procedure, as it
differs somewhat from those already posted:

1.  Render sausage in cast iron Dutch oven (use some butter if sausage is
lean).  Remove sausage, leave grease in pan.
2.  Cut boneless, skinless chicken thighs into cubes and season with red
seasoning (do the day before, if possible).  Add cubes to very hot Dutch
oven and brown well in sausage grease.
3.  Add chopped garlic, chiles, yellow onions, celery, and bell peppers.
Season with red seasoning.  Saute until tender.
4.  Add a can of drained, chopped tomatoes (fresh in summer) -- scrape pan
bottom to deglaze with juices released by tomatoes.  Return sausage to pan.
5.  Adjust with Tabasco, red seasoning, white seasoning, and/or salt.
6.  Add seasoned raw shrimps, green onions, parsley, and COOKED, cooled
rice.  Heat until hot and shrimps are cooked.

Note that the major difference here is that I use cooked rice (similar to if
I was making fried rice) rather than adding liquid and raw rice.  I worked
in a Cajun restaurant in Norfolk, VA whose chef/owner had worked for Paul
Prudhomme for many years after graduating from Le Cordon Bleu.  He was
adamant that one never, ever added liquid to jamba (except hot sauce) and
that cooked, cooled rice was always used -- this differs, of course, from
the recipe I have in a Prudhomme cookbook.  Anyway, I've tried it both ways,
and I prefer to make a well-seasoned rice pilaf (so the grains don't stick
together) and then add the cooked rice to my jamba base -- the finished dish
is less starchy that way.

Jambalaya is like music -- it means different things to different people and
everyone likes a different kind -- but this is what I make in my house.
Good luck with the new Beau.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology