RE: [CH] BUGS - white fly and aphids.

Ces (ces@preferred.com)
Tue, 14 May 2002 06:33:20 -0400

I had a terrible problem with aphids, lost several plants I was
overwintering and they got on my new seedlings and destroyed many. I tried
pyrethins (sp)and several other "light" methods but nothing really worked, I
was told to spray every three days to "break" their cycle but even that
seemed to fail. Finally in desperation I bought some sevin dust that
contained carbynal (sp) and after two applications it seems to have worked.
There are two kinds of sevin dust, one with permithens (sp) and one with
cabynal (sp). I realize you may not want to use this but it is something
that worked.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Alexandra Soltow
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 10:20 PM
To: Chile-Heads Digest
Subject: Re: [CH] BUGS - white fly and aphids.

Chris wrote,

>What is the best and safest method to kill off an infestation of white
>fly and aphids?

And Rael wrote,

>best and *safest* would have to be thumb and finger (seriously).
>Less demanding would be something like an insecticidal soap/spray.

My whiteflies and aphids laughed at the insecticidal soap. :-(

I don't think anything really gets rid of them, but you can keep your
plants alive until you can get them outside by removing the critters
periodically. I've found that the best way to remove them is with scotch
tape - apply the sticky side of a piece of tape to the underside of the
leaves, which is where those guys like to congregate. The tape sticks to
the bugs instead of the leaves, and when it's pulled off, the bugs come
with it.

Unfortunately, you have to repeat the procedure every so often to keep them
at bay.

Alex

Alexandra Soltow
pamra@rockland.net

In English, a double negative forms a positive.
In some languages, a double negative is still a negative.
However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative.

Yeah. Right.