RE: [CH] Morels, Ramps, and Fiddleheads

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:02:16 -0400

Ahhhhhh......spring is in the air and morels, ramps, and fiddleheads are
available in abundance.  It's a great time to be alive.

I typically serve these items as a side dish with spicy foods and have
always had good results -- a steak marinated with habaneros served with
sauteed morels, for example.  I also really like to grill ramps (isn't there
a "Ramp Festival" somewhere in WV around this time of year?) and then toss
them with some soy sauce, rice vinegar, pinch of brown sugar, Thai chiles,
and galangal -- these are delicious with grilled tuna or salmon.  As for
fiddleheads, I cannot think of a better way to prepare them than by sauteing
them in a copious amount of butter with some red chile flakes, salt, and
pepper.

I wonder if you could make a variation of Xnipec by simply mixing minced
ramps, habaneros, lime juice and salt -- it wouldn't lack for any flavor,
that's for sure.

I'd love to hear what you are doing with them....

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology