RE: [CH] Peach Salsa

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:17:21 -0400

Keith --

I typically make salsas up "on the fly" because I enjoy tasting and
adjusting.  As such, I don't have a recipe, but I can offer a method that
should work for you --

1.  Slice peaches into thin wedges or cubes -- this will depend on what type
of presentation you're looking for when you plate the finished dish.
2.  Finely mince some red onion (you can also slice these Asian style,
through the root end, if you're using sliced peaches, but I would consider
this more of a relish then).
3.  Finely mince some habanero or other fruity chile.
4.  Juice a couple of limes.
5.  Mince some fresh herbs -- you need cilantro here, but you could also use
basil, mint, and/or oregano.
6.  Have your S & P mix handy.

Now you have everything together, simply mix in proportions that "look
right", taste, and adjust (remember that what is important is that you like
the taste -- not that you follow some "unwritten rules" here).  If your
peaches aren't fully ripe, you might want to add a pinch of sugar or some
honey, but I try to avoid this.  Also, if you're looking for some additional
flavor depth, you might consider toasting and grinding some cumin seeds to
add, but I typically prefer to season my meat/fish with cumin and chile
powder and then serve the salsa on top.

I love this with grilled fish, grilled pork chops, or hot-smoked pork
tenderloin.  Good luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology