Re: [CH] Ramps

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 17 May 2002 15:20:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "T" <joemama@ticino.com>

> > In a lot of places sorta north, like western New York
> > and western Pennsylvania where I grew up, they are
> > called "leeks."
>
> So, are Ramps actually Leeks, or just called Leeks but actually someting
> else?
>
> Tom

They may be called "leeks" but actual leeks and ramps are two different
plants. Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, ramps, etc. are all cousins under
the banner of "allium". Members of the lilly family. Ramps are especially
odoriferous. In at least one school district in West Virginia it is illegal
to eat ramps before attending school. Violators are sent home. A schoolboy's
favourite way of getting a day off school.  B^)=

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider