Re: [CH] Not really Re: Ramps anymore...

Crimson King (rael64@qwest.net)
Mon, 20 May 2002 22:58:37 -0600

>Alex Silbajoris wrote:
>
>>  On the weekend of the annual April hotluck in Madison, Clifty Falls state
>>  park is full of wild onions, to the point of them being an invasive
>>  nuisance.  I don't know if the rangers would allow some harvesting, and if
>>  not, I don't think they can watch every bit of the park every minute.
>>  Especially the brush behind my campsite...
>
>   This post reminds me to ask about the chives over running my humble little
>garden bed.  Are they good to dry and use as a seasoning???  (There are just
>way too many to ever use fresh.)  If so, do I need to dry them in the oven, as
>I do with chiles (they seem to be thin enough to not warrant this); or can I
>just throw them near a sunny window and wait?

leave some in the window and see.  If you don't have much humidity to
deal with, they should dry fine that way.  Usually, tho, oven or
dehydrator produces a "more dry" product.  I prefer a dehydrator for
veggies/fruits, but here in the high desert, herbs and such will dry
out in the open damn near overnight.  I've even minced chiles and let
them lie on a plate.  Dry in the morning.

Just see what works best.  Freezing herbs is generally a good storage
method too.  I prefer many herbs this way verses drying (parsley and
cilantro specially).

--
Peace...
Rael64

"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself
a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about
repeating
independence."   -Historian Charles A. Beard-