Re: [CH] Enchilada Sauce Recipe?

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 20:06:57 -0700

Signe Knutson wrote:

> Hi kids,
>
> I made some enchiladas last week, but I was not happy with the sauce I
> made. I would appreciate any recipe for enchilada sauce that people
> have found to be good.
>
> Signe

Hi Signe and all. Here is one that I have been using for many years,
really just a red chile sauce:
3	ozs of dried medium heat New Mexican chiles
2	cups of water
1/3	cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
2	cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/2	tsp dried oregano
1/2 	tsp of cumino(cumin)
Open the  chiles and shake out some of the seeds. Rinse the pods in hot water
and then soak them in boiling water for about ten minutes. Place them in
your blender or food processor until mushed and then add the onion and
garlic to the blender. Spin this until all combined and place in a
saucepan, cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, then remove. Let
cool, and then run through a food mill or a sieve, and return to the
pot. Add the oregano,crumbled fine, and the cumin, and salt to taste,
and cook for another 10 minutes. You will have an enchilado sauce second
to none, and far better than the store bought stuff.
Hey, I have returned! First recipe for ages!! Cheers, Doug in BC