Re: [CH] Corn Chowder requests

Dan Gillis (DanGillis@earthlink.net)
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:38:37 -0400

Ben -

I've made some corn chowder that knocked our socks off.  I start with the
master - Julia Child - this is an adaptation from "The  Way to Cook"

2/3 cup diced double smoked bacon (Schaller & Weber) <Julia uses salt pork>
1 tbls butter
2 cups sliced onions
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound baking potatoes, diced
1/2 pound small red potatoes, diced
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups milk or light cream
2 1/2 to 3 cups corn
2 bay leaves
some habaneros - as many finely chopped as you like

Slowly sauté the bacon in the butter until brown.  Strain & reserve the
bacon.  Sauté the onions in the rendered bacon goodness until soft.  Add the
potatoes & stir around for a minute or two.  Then add the corn.  Fresh off
the cob would be good, otherwise frozen's good.  If you want it really
creamy add a can of cream style corn.  Stir for another couple of minutes.
Add the habs, bay leaves, bacon & the chicken broth, bring to a simmer, turn
down & simmer on low until the potatoes are just tender.  You can put this
in the fridge at this point & hold it for several days, if needed.
Otherwise - add the milk or light cream.  Heat through & ENJOY.  Yum.

As we like to say around our household ..

Don't worry.. be habby.

Dan & Helen