RE: [CH] What is HOT?

Rob.Pieters@honeywell.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:05:50 -0700

Hi Steve,

In my humble opinion Hot is.... When you say it is hot, and.... when anyone
else say it is hot, and that can be total different heat levels.
In other words it's a personal feeling, just enjoy the heat till the level
you can appreciate.

Just my two Euro cents
Rob NL

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Steve Winnard [mailto:s_winnard@hotmail.com]
  Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 2:59 AM
  To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
  Subject: [CH] What is HOT?

  I like to think that I enjoy my chilli-laden food HOT, but that's a
  subjective level. I determine HOT as being at a level my lips
  hurt, my mouth
  hurts and I must resort to drinking something... anything!
  Anything less
  than this and it is medium / mild, etc.

  I make my own hot sauce by grinding up Bird's Eye chillis
  with an equalish
  amount of white vinegar, some rock salt, a little garlic and
  coriander, and
  that's it. I consider this to be HOT. I pour it like crazy on
  my food, but I
  certainly couldn't swallow a tablespoon of the stuff straight!

  So, that begs the question : What do you fellow chilli (chile for you
  Northern Hemispherians) heads consider hot? Does the list
  have a standard
  level one's chilli heat must attain to considered HOT? Must I
  be able to eat
  Habs raw before being considered a HOT eater?

  Your thoughts please...

  Regards,

  Steve