Subject: [CH] of chillies and chocolate

Jim Weller (jweller@ssimicro.com)
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:02:24 -0600

From: "Amber ..???.." <karjah@hotmail.com>

> i've just signed up with the group,woohhoo chillies! ;)

Chilies plus a little craziness once in a while. <G> Welcome.

> i was wondering if anyone had a recipe for hot chocolate with chille?

Coming up.

> actually any recipes with the chocolate and chille combo would be
> welcome,my two favourite ingredients,together,bliss!

Plus a couple more.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Burton Ford's Mexican Chocolate En Leche (With a Kick)
 Categories: Beverages, Chocolate, Chilies
      Yield: 4 Servings

      4 lg Habenaro peppers
      6 oz Chocolate, Mexican
      4 c  Milk

  In a heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan, combine the chocolate and milk. Cook
  over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted
  completely and the mixture is well blended and hot.  Puree Habaneros
  in a food processor or blender, and add to the Chocolate mixture. Do
  not let the mixture come to a boil.  With a molinillo (Mexican wooden
  beater) or a rotary beater, beat the chocolate vigorously until it is
  foamy. Pour it into individual cups and serve at once while driving to
  the nearest hospital.

  *** Double caution do not get this near your eyes, mucous membranes
  or any other vital part of your body.  If you should spill it in your
  lap while driving to the hospital, pull into the nearest McDonalds,
  scream bloody murder, and sue for three million dollars.

  Burt: This was created for me a few years ago by Kathy Pitts who knows
  I like my chilies on the mild side. (See Left Handed Chili - Why Not?)

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style
 Categories: Chocolate, Dairy, Chilies, Spanish
      Yield: 8 Servings

    1/2 ga Milk
    1/4 oz Dried rosebuds or
      2 ts Rosewater
      1 ts Saffron threads, lightly
           Crushed
      3    Sticks cinnamon
      2    Whole dried a'rbol or
           Pequi'n chilies
      1    Vanilla bean, split
           Lengthwise
    1/2 c  Sugar

  Food historian Maricel Presilla has re-created a drink served at the
  lavish receptions called "agasajos" in 17th-century Spain.

  Combine 1/2 gallon milk; 1/4 oz. dried rosebuds or 2 tsp. rosewater; 1
  tsp. saffron threads, lightly crushed; 3 sticks cinnamon; 2 whole
  dried a'rbol or pequi'n chilies; 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise; and
  1/2 cup sugar in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Scald milk,
  stirring to dissolve sugar, then lower heat and cook 10 minutes.
  Remove from heat; steep 10 minutes. Strain into a large pot. Heat
  gently, then add 1/2 lb. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped.
  Whisk briskly for 5 minutes to dissolve chocolate and make a frothy
  head.

  (Saveur #8, Sept/oct '95)
  David Lichtman
  Date: 06 Aug 97
  Chile-Heads List Ä

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Jalapeno Brownies
 Categories: Chocolate, Snacks, Chilies, Cheese, Bars
      Yield: 16 servings

    1/4 c  butter
    2/3 c  Semisweet chocolate chips
      4    Eggs
    1/2 ts salt
      2 c  Sugar
      1 ts vanilla
    1/4 c  flour
    3/4 c  Chopped nuts
      2 lg jalapeno chiles,
           Chopped and seeded
           CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE ICING
      8 oz cream cheese
      5 tb butter
      1 ts vanilla
      4 tb milk or cream
      3 tb cocoa
      3 c  confectioners sugar, sifted

  In the top of a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate chips
  together. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the salt until
  the mixture is foamy.  Slowly beat until sugar until well blended.
  Beat in the vanilla. Remove mixer from bowl.  With a wooden spoon,
  stir in the chocolate mixture until almost blended.  Stir in flour
  until almost blended. Stir in the jalapenos and chopped nuts. Butter a
  9"x13" baking pan, and pour in the batter.  Bake at 350 F. for 25 to
  30 minutes, or until the top crust cracks and the inside looks moist
  but not runny. Cool. (Don't try to cut the brownies while warm.) Serve
  plain or with chocolate cream cheese icing.

  For icing: Cream the cream cheese and butter with a mixer. Add vanilla
  and milk. Add cocoa and two cups powdered sugar. Blend in well. Add
  remaining powdered sugar and mix to desired spreading consistency.
  Frost the brownies.