RE: [CH] Need help with chipmunk problem.

Frank J. Hashek (pepperking@outdrs.net)
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:44:09 -0500

Hi,

I spoke with our local radio station garden guru.  He says to use a live
trap with a little peanut butter inside.  When you get a chipmunk, then put
the trap into a 5 gallon bucket of water.  When the chipmunk expires, put
the chipmunk in the garbage.  He also suggested a conventional rat trap.
Tie a small piece of dried fruit to the bait pad.  Put a little peanut
butter on it and set the trap.  He said that sometimes the chipmunks are too
big for a mousetrap and too small for a rat trap.

I have also sprinkled blood meal around some of the violated areas.  I had
heard that works against anything in the rodent family.  I'll see by
tomorrow.

Blue skies,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Mark Barringer
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 9:15 PM
To: Chile Head Digest
Subject: [CH] Need help with chipmunk problem.

I have several types of chiles growing in pots.  Unfortunately, we have a
large chipmunk population that likes to burrow into the soil and naw on the
roots of plants.

So far, the only thing that seems to work is sprinkling some ceyenne pepper
around the stem of the plants.  Do you all have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Mark "Mad Dog"  Barringer
http://home.earthlink.net/~mdogdrum/index.html