RE: [CH] In Search of - - - A Mole Negro recipe

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:28:25 -0400

Jim --

I would try a Diana Kennedy cookbook.  She has fabulous mole recipes.  If
you don't have access to one, let me know and I will post a recipe or two
from mine.  By the way, though, it is really a superb CH book.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Jim Nelson
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 8:49 PM
To: Chile Heads Post
Subject: [CH] In Search of - - - A Mole Negro receipe

Greetings pods
News update, first ripe Red Savina was found hiding in the bush today, a
sign that the season of  El Grande in Northern California is upon me.
As I was out there identifying the chocolate habs and other new pods for
this year, LSS (long suffering spouse) has inquired again what I plan to
do with the unusual varieties this year ( yes a common question for us
all, but I digress).  I calmly reported back that this year I plan to
make mole negro.  LSS  smiles knowingly having attempted this before and
discovered that it is frequently a day long process if one has twenty
odd years of experience and if not can be twice as long with
disappointing results.  The gauntlet having thus been cast (and getting
a jar from the store and faking it out of the question . . . at least
for now), Does anyone have a coherent recipe they could share?  For
those of you have been  there I am aiming at  an outcome similar to what
one can get , for example, at La Fuente in Tucson ( usual disclaimer
that I only wish I had a financial interest so I could convince them to
give me the recipe) and thus is quite dark and in the intermediate heat
range.