Re: [CH] Low Fat...Can Be Tasty

Dan Gillis (DanGillis@earthlink.net)
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:48:00 -0400

I  am also a high cholesterol sufferer (although I live in denial, which as
we all know, is not just a river in Egypt).  Helen and I discovered the
following recipe in "Cucina Italiana" magazine and just love it.  The heat
is nice as is, but you can make it as hot as you want.  Go on.. try it..
you'll like it!

spicy chickpea pasta

1 10 ½ oz. Can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup olive oil
1 dried chili pepper, crumbled (We use a mix of a few different ones we have
on hand at the time)
2 chopped cloves garlic
1 onion, minced
1 tbsp. Minced Italian parsley
2 tbsp. Torn Basil leaves
4 or 5 whole Basil leaves for touch
1 bay leaf
3 tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
salt and pepper
½ pound pappardelle, broken into 2" lengths (or lasagna cut into pieces)
1 cup fresh pecorino romano

Process all but 1/4 cup of the chickpeas in a food processor with 1 cup of
water until smooth.  Heat 1/4 cup of the oil with the chili and garlic in a
1 qt. saucepan.  Add the onion, parsley, basil and bay leaf and cook,
stirring for 5 minutes.  Add the Chickpeas (pureed and whole), tomatoes,
salt and pepper.  Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes (stir every 10 minutes or
so).

Meanwhile, cook the pappardelle until al dente.  Fold the pasta into the
chickpea broth, remove the bay leaf, and serve hot.  Drizzle with remaining
olive oil and serve it up with the romano on the side.

Add a nice arrangement of Basil leaves on top for a nice presentation.