Re: [CH] Low Fat...Can Be Tasty

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:05:02 -0700 (PDT)

I'll have to try BOTH recipes!  LOOKS GREAT!

Of course, I love garbanzo beans.  Just picked a decent jalapeno from
the garden, choped it up and added it to some hummus.  mmmmmmmmmmmm

that's good!

Ted

--- Dan Gillis <DanGillis@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I  am also a high cholesterol sufferer (although I live in denial,
> which as
> we all know, is not just a river in Egypt).  Helen and I discovered
> the
> following recipe in "Cucina Italiana" magazine and just love it.  The
> heat
> is nice as is, but you can make it as hot as you want.  Go on.. try
> it..
> you'll like it!
>

> spicy chickpea pasta
>
> 1 10 ½ oz. Can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
> ½ cup olive oil
> 1 dried chili pepper, crumbled (We use a mix of a few different ones
> we have
> on hand at the time)
> 2 chopped cloves garlic
> 1 onion, minced
> 1 tbsp. Minced Italian parsley
> 2 tbsp. Torn Basil leaves
> 4 or 5 whole Basil leaves for touch
> 1 bay leaf
> 3 tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
> salt and pepper
> ½ pound pappardelle, broken into 2" lengths (or lasagna cut into
> pieces)
> 1 cup fresh pecorino romano
>
> Process all but 1/4 cup of the chickpeas in a food processor with 1
> cup of
> water until smooth.  Heat 1/4 cup of the oil with the chili and
> garlic in a
> 1 qt. saucepan.  Add the onion, parsley, basil and bay leaf and cook,
> stirring for 5 minutes.  Add the Chickpeas (pureed and whole),
> tomatoes,
> salt and pepper.  Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes (stir every 10
> minutes or
> so).
>
> Meanwhile, cook the pappardelle until al dente.  Fold the pasta into
> the
> chickpea broth, remove the bay leaf, and serve hot.  Drizzle with
> remaining
> olive oil and serve it up with the romano on the side.
>
> Add a nice arrangement of Basil leaves on top for a nice
> presentation.

=====
lat: 39.74673, lon: -86.33115
Signal Corps:  -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
"The objective of the fighting army is to obtain good ground; it is also the objective of every telegrapher."