[CH] Papaya sauce??

Jim Weller (jweller@ssimicro.com)
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:28:57 -0600

From: "Helen L. Gillis" <HelenGillis@earthlink.net>
Subject: [CH] Papaya sauce??

> On our honeymoon in Aruba we found a sauce called Hot Delight Papaya
> and really loved it.  Does anyone have a recipe for a hot sauce using
> papaya?  I have a number using mango...The label reads hot peppers,
> papaya, onions, salt, picalilly, mustard, natural vinagar, corn oil,
> garlic.  "no preservative".  We're scraping the bottom of the jar,
> please help! Helen

Here's a whole bunch to choose from. Have fun experiemnting!

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Jackie's Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce
 Categories: Canning, Pickles, Condiments, Fruits, Chilies
      Yield: 2 pints

      1    Green Papaya, Peeled, Seeded
           --and Roughly Chopped
     10    Scotch Bonnet Peppers,
           --Seeded
      2    Onions, Quartered
      3    Cloves Garlic
           Rind of One Lime
    1/2 c  Lime Juice
  1 1/2 c  Malt Vinegar
      1 ts Salt
    1/4 c  Prepared Yellow Mustard

  Puree the papaya, Scotch Bonnet peppers, onions, garlic, lime rind,
  and lime juice in a food processor.  Transfer to a medium saucepan and
  stir in the vinegar, salt and mustard.  Simmer the mixture over low
  heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Bottle the sauce in hot
  sterilized jars.

  From Sugar Reef Caribbean Cookbook.
  Typed by Syd Bigger.

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Xxxx-Hot Caribbean Habanero Hot Sauce
 Categories: Sauces, Caribbean, Condiments, Fruits, Chilies
      Yield: 8 Servings

     12    Habanero peppers; hand
           -picked
      4    -(up to)
      5    Dried; smoked Jalapenos (can
           -use fresh; if desired)
      2    Papayas
      3 tb Chopped onion
    1/4 c  Vinegar; or more
      2 tb Lime juice
      1 tb Salt
      1 tb Sugar
      1 pn Cinnamon (can omit; if
           -desired)
      1 pn Garlic
    1/4 c  Mustard; or less

  Hydrate the dried jalapenos.  Retain approx. 1/4 cup of the liquid.

  Chop all solids.  Throw into blender with liquid ingredients.
  "Liquify" for a good, long time ... goal here is to do away with all
  chunks of anything. Note: I left seeds & "flesh" of peppers intact.
  For a more mild sauce, you may want to extract these

  Once mixture is very smooth, cook over very low heat for 30-60
  minutes. Stir often.  During this time, taste (as much as you are able
  to), and add add'l amounts of desired ingredients until you achieve
  the taste you desire. Goal is to come up with a sauce that is sweet at
  first taste, then leaves a healthy amount of pain as the taste fades
  away.

  Remove from heat, cool 30-60 minutes.

  Strain mixture to extract liquid, leave behind seeds, pulp, etc. This
  will take a while - be patient.

  Store extracted liquid in an air-tight container, or in a sealed
  bottle. Time will increase heat & taste.

  Note:  Like many cooks, I created this with no precise measurements.
  It was a total experiment & actually turned out very well (though
  very painful). Please feel free to alter/experiment.

  JEM869@aol.com
  CHILE-HEADS ARCHIVES

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Haitian Hot Pepper Sauce
 Categories: Caribbean, Condiments, Fruits, Chilies
      Yield: 1 pint

      3    Habbies or Scotch bonnets;
           Chopped
    1/2 c  Papaya; substitute peaches,
           Fresh or canned
    1/2 c  Raisins
      1 c  Onion; minced
      3 cl Garlic; minced
    1/2 ts Turmeric
    1/4 c  Malt vinegar

  Bring everything to a boil together; lower heat and simmer 5 min.
  Puree in blender.

  Dewitt & Gerlach