Re: [CH] Hot Sauce recipe?

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:37:26 -0400

Hi John,
One of our resident chefs sent this one in:

I got this recipe from Red Hot Peppers by Jean Andrews. Simple to do. Smells
up the kitchen with the hot vinegar. My DS had to run upstairs to get away
from the fumes. It was really smelly but it looks like the real thing once
it is done.

I am going to wait about a month or so to open my bottle of it.

@@@@@
Homemade "Tabasco" Sauce

Jean Andrews

12 Tabasco chiles, * I used cayenne
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 cup herbed chili vinegar, ** I used apple cider
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

In a small nonreactive saucepan (I used Visions by Corningware), boil the
chiles and garlic in the vinegar until tender. Place in a blender with the
salt and sugar and puree. Run through a metal sieve if necessary. Dilute
this paste with more vinegar until it is the consistency of rich cream. Pour
into a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil, then pour into a hot,
sterilized bottle to within 1/2 inch of the rim and run a sterlizied knife
around the inside of the bottle to release air bubbles. Wipe the rim clean
and seal with a scalded top. Store in the refrigerator after opening.

RisaG

I make mine with Habs & another list member, JohnT named it:
> Thank you very much for the jar of Habanero Tabasco!  I got it in the
>mail yesterday.  It was lip buzzing wonderful.  Had it twice yesterday.
"Lip Buzzing Habanero Sauce" seems to fit nicely.
My only modification, besides substituing Habs, is to add a tbls. of
moulasses & I use white vinegar.

Hope this helps,
Paul