Re: [CH] Extension agents' salsa

David Cook (zebcook@rcn.com)
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:27:57 -0400

There's not problem in adjusting the peppers in the recipe since that is
not going to affect the safety of the canning. Extension agents aren't
necessarily chileheads, so the 3 c. of peppers probably means green peppers
here. In lots of home canning recipes "salsa" is a heatless mix, especially
in the Midwest. Adjust the heat to taste and compensate for lost volume
with more tomatoes.
         What keeps the canning safe is the acid -- in the tomatoes, added
vinegar, etc. -- and proper processing.

David "Zeb" Cook