RE: [CH] Da Harvest Pt. 1

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:36:42 -0400

Hi, Rob --

Sounds like you've got a great "problem".  I have posted a super-simple
recipe a couple of times in the past for canning chiles that are already
minced -- mince up your chiles (I do it in bulk in a food processor), pack
them loosely into hot sterilized jars, season each jar with 2 teaspoons of
kosher salt, and cover with boiling white vinegar.  Put hot lids and rings
on the jars and process pints for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.  A
certain amount of magic occurs during the canning process, resulting in a
vinegar that is thick, sweet, and intensely flavored.  Last night, I canned
quarts of Red Savinas and Caribbean reds in this manner.

I have also applied this method to small whole chiles (last night I did jars
of Tabasco, pisbas haymi, pisbas harari, pisbas san'nini, and Bolivian
rainbow) with much success.  Yes, the chiles will float to the top, but will
settle eventually.  I have never had a problem with this.

For the first time this year, I tried a third variation on a theme -- place
whatever same-color chiles you have into a blender and add just enough white
vinegar to lubricate the blades.  Season with kosher salt and liquefy
completely (this may take 5 minutes or so at your highest setting).  Bring
this mixture to a boil (careful!) and pour into hot, sterilized jars.
Process pints for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.  Last night, I made two
batches of this stuff -- yellow mushroom and Francisca habanero.  I plan on
using it in place of, say, Tabasco, or some other vinegary hot sauce.  As a
general guide, I found that one pint required about 1/2 cup vinegar, 2
heaping teaspoons of kosher salt, and then enough chiles to yield 2 total
cups of puree.  My wife thinks I should call these mixes something like
"Liquid Satan" -- yes, they are hot.

Well, I've shared all of my secrets, and now I need a favor -- how do you
make your habanero-carrot sauce?  Thanks.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Geosystems Group
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0355