Re: [CH] Avery Island

xtremely fast (xtremely.fast@prodigy.net)
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:56:07 -0700

funny you ask...........the peppers are picked by migrant workers.  Each
worker is given a ;pop-cycle stick painted red to put in his pocket.  The
stick has a very nice sounding coon-ass name which literaly means 'little
red stick"  The pickers use this stick as a guide and pick only peppers that
"exact"  shade of red.  Another thing, the salt that is used in making the
mash and the salt used for sealing the large white oak kegs that the peppers
are stored in is taken from the salt mines on Avery Island.

Eddie