RE: [CH] information request

Jeff Thompson (jeffthompson@mac.com)
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

I think the brand you’re referring to might be Vita-Mix. The commercial versions only have three speeds, off, on and high. If you’ve ever had a Smoothie at the mall, odds are it was prepared in the commercial version of a Vita-Mix. The home versions include a speed dial, to allow finer speed adjustments (and still has the "high-speed" switch as well). When a vita-mix overheats (I’ve only done it once) it simply shuts down until it cools off enough to be used again. I don’t think they offer the stainless steel containers anymore though. The polycarb containers are REALLY tough, don't stain and the lid locks in place.

I’ve had one for years and have never had any problems. I’ve known people that have had the same Vita-Mix for decades. They aren’t cheap, but they work like a champ. I use it for salsa, chili powder, soups (yes, you CAN cook in it) and I make fruit/bar drinks in it too. You could puree a cat in one and drink it though a straw... ok I’ve never done it, but I bet you could. It's 11.5 amp, 1,200 watt, 37,000 rpm, 240mph BEAST!! :^)

They’ve got a web site where you can get all the details. http://www.vitamix.com. If I recall correctly, they have a lifetime warrantee, or at least a darn long one, meaning it will be the last blender you ever buy. If the price scares you off, think of this way, you can buy one blender for the price of the next four you’d have to buy when they wear out.