[CH] Las Cruces recommendations

Sue Bonar (sbonar@NMSU.Edu)
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:26:14 -0600

For Las Cruces: If you're looking for a nice restaurant with atmosphere
& good food where the chile isn't hot but has great flavor, go to La
Posta in Mesilla (I know, I know - I just said in Las Cruces... but it's
all connected). Lots of people think it's too touristy, but I really
like it - probably because I've gone there since I was a kid. There's a
lot of history and charm in Old Mesilla. It's always busy - go early for
lunch or dinner, or make reservations (ask for seating in the Lava Room).

Nellie's is where the locals go for Mexican food. Small restaurant,
great food, always packed - chile heat varies from mild to fire. Very
generally speaking, the green is usually hotter. Call for their hours as
they change - they're only open for dinner a couple of nights a week.
There are lots of good places for Mexican food, but this is the place
that you must go if you're limited on time.

Mesilla Valley Kitchen has great breakfast burritos (everything else is
good too, but I always end up with a breakfast burro even when it's
lunch). They are only open for breakfast and lunch - close around 2 pm,
I think. If you want fast, good and cheap burritos, try the Santa Fe
Grills that are in the Pik Quik convenience stores - at least the one on
Telshor is really good.

Sheesh - I can't believe that I almost forgot Roberto's - great food,
very cheap - also a locals favorite. Roberto's is famous for making the
biggest enchilada in the world at The Whole Enchilada Fiesta. They sell
stuff to you in bulk if you want to make your own stuff, or you can buy
meals - really whatever you want.

Go Burger is close to Roberto's and their burritos are huge, fabulous
and cheap. I understand their burgers are great, but I haven't gotten
past the mexican food they serve.

Well, that should give you a start - let me know if you have something
specific you're looking for and I'll try to help.

Sue