RE: [CH] Jelly recipe question

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:16:40 -0400

Marc --

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I typically allow mine to
cool upside down overnight.  Also, if you refrigerate the jars before
opening them, they will thicken.

And, if you're stuck with chile syrup, use it in BBQ sauces or as a glaze
for gilled meats.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Geosystems Group
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0355

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Marc Saegesser
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 1:55 PM
To: chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: RE: [CH] Jelly recipe question

Leslie,

Please pass along anything you find out on the other list and let us know
how your jelly turns out.

I cooled the jars upside down for 5 minutes (as recommended by the
instructions I found inside the box of pectin) and once I turned them back
over they all 'plincked' withing half an hour or so.  It looks like they
have all sealed just fine!  My only concern here is that I read later (in
that same instruction packet inside the pectin box) that they jars should be
filled with an 1/8 inch head space and I don't think I got my jars quite
that full.

I plan to let them sit for a while longer to see if they really do set
before I open to try it out.  If they don't set I guess I'll just have
pepper syrup.  I'm sure I can find a use for that!

Marc Saegesser