RE: [CH] home made OF sauce

Dan Turkette (dan@tekinteractive.com)
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:48:47 -0500

We got a call from one of our suppliers earlier this year about Szechuan
Peppercorns (not a true peppercorn, but rather the dried berry/seed of a
deciduous prickly ash tree). Turns out the USDA implemented a ban on them
due to causing a canker on citrus plants and they were recalling all of
them. I told them we'd gladly comply and return all of the product as soon
as we got some sort of official notice from the USDA. They said they
couldn't share the document with us (not sure at this point why)... so I
declined returning the peppercorns and continued to sell them for two
months.

Then I finally get a call from this witch with the USDA demanding our
compliance. I explained to her that what I needed was some sort of official
notice, not just a phone call. So she resorts to threatening to visit our
operation, fine us $100,000 blah.. blah... anyway,  After some hemmin' and
hawin' she finally decided the next day to fax us a letter and we complied
with the recall (except for a few pounds for my personal stash).

Turns out our supplier as unknowingly buying them from "known smuggler".

Regards,
Daniel H. Turkette
President & Executive Chef
The Great American Spice Company, Inc.