Re: [CH] Chorizo

John Lilly (habyday@earthlink.net)
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:56:56 -0500

on 10/24/02 9:43 PM, Nels Peterson family at npkp4jp@polarcomm.com wrote:

> Friends and neighbors
>
> We're getting a pork done next week, the butcher plant is going to grind the
> trim and we're going to make our own sausage -- any good chorizo recipes out
> there?

Here is the recipe I use.  It is very simple (and tasty too).

    1 lb ground pork
 1/4 cup ground New Mexico chile (or a mixture of New Mex and ancho)
 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
   1 tsp salt
 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
   pinch ground clove
2 cloves garlic crushed and minced

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl.  Cover and store in the
refrigerator for 3 days.  Cook as you would ground beef, but use med-low
heat.  If you are not going to use it right away, you will probably want to
freeze it.  I like to wrap individual servings in waxed paper and freeze
them in a Ziploc.  Ground piquin or de arbol work well for added heat.

Enjoy,
John Lilly