Re: [CH] Caribbean sauce recipes (not long)

Jesse [CH1200] G. (CH1200@attbi.com)
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:42:55 -0600

Greetings, CH's,
<Cliff Claven>
If it's Caribbean, there may be TWO types of Cilantro.

The Puerto-Ricans refer to "regular" cilantro as "Cilantrillo," i.e.
"little cilantro."

They use a second type of cilantro, which they call, well, "cilantro."
(This may or may not be culantro or recao.) It looks NOTHING like
parsley or regular cilantro.  It looks like a broad-leaf WEED.  But it
smells (and presumably tastes = *&^%$#@!!) just like regular cilantro.
To bring it back on-topic:  Puerto-Rican cooking makes use of a mix
called "sofrito."  It's a blenderized mix of green peppers, onions, aji
dulce, and both types of cilantro, if they can get 'em.  Other possible
ingredients: olive oil, garlic, salt, oregano.
</Cliff Claven>

I dislike  cilantro/culantro/recao/what-have-you, but sofrito is a Nice
addition to a recipe.

Hasta la lista,
Jesse G.
CH#1200