Re: [CH] Tofu, Blood and Chile

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:02:31 -0600

Jose Cisneros wrote:

> Okay....back to the blood and chiles.
> Does anyone remember having animals that were raised for slaughter? I mean at home.
> When I was a child of seven or eight I lived in Laredo Tex....
>
> Hose-A

  Well, we had a fair amount of sheep, which in addition to shearing, we processed from time to time for
dinner.  I never really cared for those dinners, as my parents weren't exactly on the cutting edge of using
seasonings.  Seemed way too bland for me, and I wasn't crazy about the texture of a lamb roast; still don't
care for it to this day (Hi Doug!).  We also sold a few to what my parents called "the Arabs".  (This was
before anyone in the current PC campaign had likely reached adulthood and begun their quest.)  My dad would
shoot the sheep, and then hang them in our garage, as we called it.  Which was just a weather worn old
building with a dirt floor that housed a boat that I never saw leave that building until they moved, when it
was put out in a field to return to the elements.  Anyway, the vacant stall in the garage was used to butcher
the sheep, and I recall that the "Arabs" usually took just about everything from it, but not the blood.  That
always ran out of the garage and out into the pasture.  They usually would bring the whole family up from
Milwaukee, and the women would hang around the yard with the kids, while the men did their slicing and
dicing.  I still remember one of the kids picking leaves off of our trees and eating them.  It seemed so
weird to me as a kid... oh wait, it still does...  We had a fair amount of chickens and ducks also, which
were raised as much for eggs as for dinners.  And a few cows for milk and butter.

--
Erich
C-H # 2099  who can still remember pouring fresh cream over sliced bananas and eating them like cereal...