Re: [CH] Re: apple cider (was fermentation)

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:37:31 -0600

At 12:52 PM 11/22/2002 +0000, Alex Silbajoris wrote:
>>From: "joemama" <joemama@ticino.com>
>
>>Around here, cider is fermented apple juice, and apple juice is juice from
>>one or more kinds of apples.
>
>Actually, I think cider is really juice from pressed apples, while "apple
>juice" is clear, filtered, sweetened, apple-tasting juice drink beverage
>material that is probably half sugar water.  Even the ones that claim
>"100% juice" are often made largely from grape juice which is cheaper but
>still technically juice.
>
>"Hard cider" that's sold in 6-packs in US stores is usually a filtered
>malt beverage with apple flavor.  If you want to prove me wrong, please go
>to Madison, Indiana for some Gale's Hard Cider from the Thomas Family Winery.
>Now, that's the real thing.

In colonial times when Americans were known as "Jonathans" to our Pommy
forebears cider was, indeed, fermented apple juice. And applejack was
brandy distilled from cider. The oldest continuing applejack distillery is
Larid & Co. of Scobeyville, NJ (you won't find it on a map - but, go east
on County highway 537 from Colt's Neck and you will find it before you get
to the Amboys.)

Cider continued to mean fermented apple juice right up until the Volstead
Act and prohibition in America. Then, sly boots that we were we changed the
definition to mean any fresh pressed, otherwise unprocessed, apple juice.
And hard cider to mean cider that had gone "off". become alcoholic, and
thereby was in violation of the law of the land. The 18th Amendment went
away thanks in no small part to the efforts of FDR. But, sadly, the US
definition of cider has remained out of step with the rest of the world.
Beitain, in particular, has some wunnerful apple juice drinks. Including,
if you can get the countryside publican to serve an outlander, scrumpy.

The Woodchuck, etc. "hard cider" sold (and taxed) in bottle shops bears
little aquaintance with the original hard cider of our Founding Fathers.

Haven't yet worked out a way to get chilies into cider in any successful
manner.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!