Re: [CH] Re: apple cider (was fermentation)

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:21:39 -0500

You never saw The Longest Yard when they pulled the Raisin Jack out of the
toilet tank?

RAISIN JACK
3 lb raisins
1 lb sugar
juice of 2 lemons
water to 1 gallon
The raisins should be chopped or ground in a food blender with the lemon
juice. Heat the sugar and water to boiling to dissolve and pour over the
raisins. If a cup of raisin pulp is held out until the water cools, it will
likely supply the natural yeasts needed to start fermentation. Let ferment
in a primary fermentor for 6 to 7 days. Strain off the sediment and place in
a secondary fermentor with an airlock for 1 to 2 weeks. When the
fermentation has ceased and the wine has cleared, put into bottles and seal.

This is nothing more than "Jungle Juice" of World War fame, but the product
is generally liked and the wine can be sampled immediately. A really
superior wine can be made using raisin in more sophisticated recipes with a
good yeast.

Got the recipe from this website (Don't want to be a plagiarist):
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/makewine.html

Hope this helps,
Paul