Re: [CH] New Year's Resolution

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 13:55:53 +0000

>From: Robert Farr <rbfarr@erols.com>

>Because Jeavons' approach involves double-digging, he suggests working
>100 sq. ft. the first year

If you're establishing new beds, you really should double-dig.  It would
depend of the soil you're starting with.  If you can get some manure now,
get it and let it mellow over the winter.

My favorite way to improve a patch of garden is to grow potatoes in it for a
season.  It gets dug up, fluffed, and amended with things like sand and
compost.

And that unfenced yard ... what kind of critter pressure are you under?
Squirrels?  Deer?  Longhair show cats?

Consider what kind of peppers you will want to have on hand as the season
progresses.  You could wind up with a lot of one kind of pod at some point,
then have to look for the best way to use them.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation, we had something similar but only lost
about $6K.

- A