Re: [CH] Votes for any pepper hotter than Red Savina?

AndyB (quark@erols.com)
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:51:51 -0500

Craig Dremann wrote:

> So is that the end to the votes on any peppers hotter than the Red
> Savina?????
>
> P.S. According to the search engine Altavista, there's 254 different
> companies selling hot sauces made from a pepper they spell "Habañero",
> with a tilde
> (searching = habañero "hot sauces"):
>
> Melindas, etc.
>
> The Anglos always drop all the accents off the Spanish words---when did
> you ever see the city in California spelled San José with an accent over
> the e?
>
> Sincerely,  Craig Dremann

Craig,

You are being such a dumbass that you are doing yourself and your business a big disservice.  Now, I would not _necessarily_ believe anything in your catalog or anything you say.

A smart person quits gracefully when he realizes he is wrong, an ignorant person keeps digging his hole deeper.  A real dumbass doesn't even know he is digging a hole for himself.

One of my minor vices is firing at really big targets. (Reasonable people that are not looking for some humor may disregard the following.)

Your woefully inadequate attempt at some statistics simply digs your hole deeper.  I did my own searches under the following conditions:

 1)  I used Google Advanced search
 2)  For each "topic" I used
       A) habanero and not habañero  (habanero -habañero)
       B) habañero and not habanero  (habañero -habanero)
     (I did this to exclude pages that contained both habanero and not habañero.)

Topic         		habanero -habañero     	habañero -habanero
=======        		==================	==================
"hot sauces"  			 5,710	         		305
"spanish dictionary"  	 	    17		        	  1
Cuba           			23,800	         		110
Habana				14,400	         		  8
".cu/"    			 8,890				5/0

"Cuba" turned up a majority of English-based web pages.

"Habana" turned up over 85% spanish web pages.  (This is because English pages generally spell the city "Havana", while Spanish-language pages spell the city "La Habana".

".cu/" was an attempt to get only cuban websites. Over 85% of the habanero sites were in Spanish.  All five habañero sites were in English, and none were .cu sites (they were either .edu or .gov <BFG>).

Conclusion:
  Cuban sites (.cu) spell it habanero and a few (dumbass) English sites ADD the tilde -- in contrast to Craig's claim.

A random example of one "Habana" hit is:
   http://www.adelante.cu/periodicos/habanero.htm
This publication is from Habana and has the title of "El Habanero" (no tilde).

By-the-way, "jalapeño" IS correct.

Another Round?
AndyB