Re: [CH] Votes for any pepper hotter than Red Savina?

bill jernigan (billjernigan@iqonline.net)
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:19:18 -0500

At 12:51 AM 1/11/03 -0500, AndyB wrote:

>A random example of one "Habana" hit is:
>    http://www.adelante.cu/periodicos/habanero.htm
>This publication is from Habana and has the title of "El Habanero" (no tilde).

andy, that's a havana newspaper, "the Havanan", the equivalent of "the new
yorker"...you can spell 'the new yorker' as 'the neu yourker', but that
doesn't make it correct...neither havana, habana or habanero have a
tilde...but for some reason, some people seem to think that every 'n' in a
spanish word should be replaced with an 'n-ye'...and i agree with you,
andy...mispellings on a web page tend to diminish the effect...there are
spanish spell-checkers, too...

my source?...ten years of speaking spanish in mexico...

bill

The ultimate game show will be the one where somebody gets killed at the end.
                 -- Chuck Barris, creator of "The Gong Show"