Re: [CH] Tomatillo ???

Dan Gillis (DanGillis@earthlink.net)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:55:07 -0500

I agree with the other posts.  Tomatillos make great salsa.  We've also made
a great pork chili with tomatillos and posole ( See recipe below)

The other thing to keep in mind when growing tomatillos is that they always
always always seem to take too long to mature.  The outer papery husk
appears first on the plant and the fruit then grows into it.  It can try
your patience the first time you grow them, but stick with it.  They're
worth it.

Enjoy

Dan

Pork Chili verde with posole:

1 pound tomatillos
2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
Flour (for dredging)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 Yellow onion, chopped
2 Anaheim or Poblanos, chopped
2 Jalepeno, chopped
2 Green Bell peppers, chopped
1 ½ cups canned Hominy, drained
½ Cup chopped Cilantro
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 cups chicken stock or water

 Turn on the broiler.  Set the tomatillos on a rimmed baking sheet and slide
them under the broiler.  Cook them, turning often, for 5 to 8 minutes until
charred.  Set them aside to cool.

 Chop the tomatillos, reserving all the juices.

 Sprinkle the pork with the salt and pepper and dust it with flour.

 In a large skillet, heat the oil.  Add the pork and brown it on all sides.
Remove the pork from the skillet and transfer to a soup pot.

 Using the same skillet, turn the heat to medium and add the onion.  Cook
for 10 minutes, stirring often, until it’s soft.  Add the chilies and bell
peppers.  Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for
1 minute more.

 Stir in the hominy, cilantro, oregano, cumin, chicken stock or water, and
the tomatillos and their juices.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and
simmer, partially covered, for 1 ½ hours or until the pork is tender.