Re: [CH] Garlic

RisaG (radiorlg@yahoo.com)
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:03:46 -0800 (PST)

I've grown garlic before with some success. I usually
grow it around my cucumber plants. I've found that I
don't get those nasty cucumber caterpillar things that
eat the fruit off the plant. I learned this by
experience.

In my first year as a gardener, I planted pickling
cucumber plants that I bought. I put them in the
ground, I started getting cucumbers and then...boom!
Almost all my cukes were deformed and eaten away at.
Yuck. I looked closer and found these nasty
caterpillar things crawling all around the plant. I
killed them all by hand! Then I read in Organic
Gardening or Vegetarian Times (can't remember which
one) about a man who was arrested for making his own
garlic spray and using it to keep the bugs off his
plants (or something like this). Don't remember the
exact reason he was arrested. Anyway, I got the idea
to grow garlic around the plant and to spray with a
garlic spray. I made my own garlic spray and planted
more plants. Within a few weeks I had another batch of
cukes growing and there were no bugs on the plants at
all.

So each year when I grow cukes, I plant garlic around
the plants. Haven't seen a caterpillar since! I do see
some ladybugs every once-in-awhile but that is good
.They are eating the aphids!

So, grow garlic. Well worth it. Plus you can harvest
it a few months later and it is so yummy.

RisaG
--- "enkantare@mindspring.com"