Re: [CH] FAQ - Recipies ?

john and jeannie (johnandjeannie@harbornet.com)
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:07:36 -0800

Hello All,
It's me, Chile-Head #2035, former 'winner' of Jim's killa bread slice,
lurker extraordinaire, and veteran reader of many years of lively debate.
We, as a collective have explored many controversial topics such as;
1)do you wash the dishes with it, or clean your plate because of it (what is
cilantro)
2)put that thing away, or bring it on baby (to ñ or not to n in Habanero)
3)Jim's Fab 'ab' powder, or Jim's fab hab powder (what is proper
pronunciation of Habanero, also went through it with chipotle if I recall)
4)death to all that dare, or been doing it all my life (what happens when
you leave your hot sauces sans refrigeration, make planters from treated
timbers, eat chile leaves and neked twister with bad knees)
5)not in my house, or I'll proudly pucker if I wanna (what are vinegar based
hot sauces)
6)smoke 'em if ya got um, or don't do 'that' around me (what is TMV, how
does it spread, and do you need to burn down the farm to get rid of it)

We exchange gardening techniques, pest/large animal control (no Rael, no
direct inference intended, sit back down) and discuss the attributes of the
many varieties of chiles and their uses. We take sideroads involving mother
earth and father time, political ideologies, business ventures, and personal
preferences on a myriad of issues. We agree, we disagree, or we do a 'pass'
on any topic that we find from our beloved list.

I applaud AndyB for investing so much time, thought and effort in a FAQ
page, be it official or unofficial, and I appreciate the concern that what
is in place is there by a consensus of interested list members. {Here is
where I'll ask in advance for you not to cane me}.

If I were a new or prospective list member and went to a FAQ page that
listed what had already been discussed to death, with recipes, where to buy
and not to buy products, etc, what would I have to ask about? Why would I
join the list? From where would I find the moxie to imagine that I might
have something to contribute to this group of folks who seem to have known
each other for years?

Might we list our talked into the ground topics in a way that will link the
interested party to the specific archives in which the topics were
discussed? This would give the reader an idea of how we 'do' our discussions
and the content of the discussion to date. Maybe we should have a FAQ that
is something like
Q: Do you want to start a flame war?
A: Make one of your first posts on the topic of.......(someone less tolerant
fill in the blank)

I'll call upon Green, Risa, Doug, Luke etc.  and ask if they remember a time
when there was a push to delineate the subject line of our posts in
categories of gardening, recipes, etc (or did I inhale too directly when I
cooked with Jim's fab ab-hab power tonight?

Shrimping, Knuckledragging (and if this is a gender specific delineation
<not!>) can be found in the archives. I truly believe it would best prepare
someone to feel comfortable in contributing to our wonderful list if they
were given the option to refer to specific points in archives to help them
to determine our list's varying views. If a newbie did post a 'been there
done that ad nausium', some kind soul might then point them toward AndyB's
FAQ, that would link them to the specific archives of what had already been
covered.

Before anyone fires back criticism, please note that I'm a old-timer, from
the school of BBS, where you don't do a first post until you wait 6 months
to see the lay of the land.  I'm creakingly aware that my views are old and
outdated, but to me what it really comes down to with a FAQ page is that the
reader of such is able to determine if this list is 'right' for them (a new
member). Being able to review, not just the topics, but the way that the
personalities on the list present a topic, is vital in a decision to sub or
unsub.
thank you very much,
jeannie nelson            tacoma wa.