[CH] OT Canadian gem lids

Leslie Mandic (rnonrun3@bellsouth.net)
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:12:01 -0500

--Apple-Mail-4-729012166

Hiya... I received this from my canning list and I know it is of
interest to a few
I had posted a note on this a while back and this seems to be the follow
up... good news for the owners of several million Canadian Gem jars.
... hope it is not a repeat.

> [...]

> for the market.
>
> Now the following are my thoughts on this issue...and remember that's
> is what they are - my thoughts and comments.
>
> I find the fact that Bernardin/Alltrista/Jarden would even consider
> producing the lids completely interesting, since they had stated over
> and over again in various previous interviews that they could not do
> this. Also, through my conversations with the various potential  lid
> producers; the most expensive cost of the lids was the creation of the
> mold/form/die. So once a form is created - a large portion of the cost
> is done. I do not understand why then after taking the effort and cost
> to produce a form that they would then only do it once. But I do
> understand, the amount of lids that would be sold and the dollars that
> would be gained by the company in this situation as people run to
> stockpile the lids.  Remember, they are not giving these lids away and
> stand to make a very healthy profit. Not to mention their half-hearted
> effort in doing damage control in regards to publicity this lid issue
> has caused for their company.
>
> Does Bernardin deserve our dollars ?? Or do we place support behind a
> Canadian based company who was willing to go-to-bat for us when the big
> corporation left us high and dry. I know where my money will be
> going...and
> I would like to state that I have no affiliation or business connection
> with this new company or any other of the potential lid producers. They
> are competition onto the homecanning market in Canada and we need it.
> As consumers, we have to be prepared to speak out and the way we can
> speak out is through our purchasing power. By having another company
> survive in the market competiting with Bernardin, we as consumers win.
> We also have to be prepared in case, the larger company having more
> collateral can make cut-throat decisions and make their product much
> more price appealing. Are you willing to make that decision  - support
> for the new guys versus cost savings ?
>
> A while back some people had talked about boycotting Bernardin
> products -
> jars, accessories etc. Well, if they do go ahead and do a mass
> production
> of the lids....that's a good place to start.
>
> Think about the facts and go back to the 2002 canning season and
> remember
> how many of us were left stranded.  However, as a consumer it is
> ultimately your decision. As the production of the potential lids is
> worked on, I guess we all have some thinking to do.
>
> If you have any thoughts on this, post them on the bulletin board of
> the website so everyone can see and generate some discussion. Here's
> the link
> to it in case you are interested.
> (   http://members.shaw.ca/gemlids/bulletin_board.htm   )
>
> In closing, as I find out any more details on the gem lids issue, I
> will do my best once again to update you all.

--leslie
"Like many good things, gardens improve with age."
			Hildegarde Hawthorne

--Apple-Mail-4-729012166

Hiya... I received this from my canning list and I know it is of
interest to a few

I had posted a note on this a while back and this seems to be the
follow up... good news for the owners of several million Canadian Gem
jars.

... hope it is not a repeat.

<excerpt> Subject: Fw: Update from Gem Lids Website - January 22, 2003

 Hi,

I received this update yesterday.  There is hope that we will have
lids for

the gem jars this year!

in His love,

Juana in BC

Hope you had a wonderful Holiday season. It seems that year 2003 is
looking much brighter for us in regards to our gem jars and canning.

First of all, one of the potential lid producers has stepped forward
and indicated that they are proceeding full steam ahead with the
production of lids. Here is what I can tell you about this new
company.

<excerpt>It is called Canadian Home Canning Inc and is based out of
Etobicoke, Ontario. The president of Canadian Home Canning Inc is
Gordon Tirebuck and he had worked for Bernadin for over 9 years prior
have indicated that they will be ready to </color>put
2003 and hope to be producing these products for many years to come.
In otherwords, they are not just doing a one-shot deal production of
the lids to make a quick buck. Their contact </color>info

3-1750 The Queensway

Suite # 1237

Etobicoke ON M9C 5H5

Fax # 905 264 6096

an interesting twist has occurred to this gem lids saga. Apparently,
Bernardin/Jarden has recently restated the retailers were told 2 years
be discontinued and were to pass it on  - so it was a communication
problem why the consumer was not aware of the situation.

They have indicated that they now want to help and plan to do a ONE
time only lid production, thereby producing millions of these 78mm
lids for the market.

Now the following are my thoughts on this issue...and remember that's
thoughts and comments.

I find the fact that Bernardin/Alltrista/Jarden would even consider
completely interesting, since they had stated over and over again
interviews that they could not do this. Also, through my conversations
with the various potential  lid producers; the most </color>expensive
of the mold/form/die. So once a form is created - a large portion of
the cost is done. I do not understand why </color>then
to produce a form that they would then </color>only
the amount of lids that would be sold and </color>the
the company in this situation as people </color>run to
they are not giving these lids away and </color>stand
to mention their half-hearted effort in </color>doing
publicity this lid issue has caused for their company.

Does Bernardin deserve our dollars ?? Or do we place support behind a
Canadian based company who was willing to go-to-bat for us when the
big corporation left us high and dry. I know where my money will be
</color>going...and

no affiliation or business connection </color>with this
[...]

As the production of the potential lids is worked on, I </color>guess

If you have any thoughts on this, post them on the bulletin board of
the website so everyone can see and generate some discussion. Here's
the link

interested.

(

In closing, as I find out any more details on the gem lids issue, I
to update you all.

Cheers,

Lori

Gem Lids Online Petition Website

</excerpt>

"Like many good things, gardens improve with age."

			Hildegarde Hawthorne</bigger></fontfamily>
--Apple-Mail-4-729012166--