Re: [CH] Texas-Style BBQ Ribs

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:24:52 -0600

At 09:22 PM 1/26/2003 -0600, Mike Pierce wrote:
>First let me say that if your favorite  rib a que joint parboils ribs, find
>another rib a que joint. Or I would like to invite you to KC where the great
>majority of BBQ joints slow smoke ribs and BBQ is done  properly, ie not
>boiled.
>
>Secondly, in my 20+ years in comercial kitchens neither myself or the cooks
>that worked for me ever put out anything that was not produced with pride.
>Again if your local restaurant does not meet these standards find another
>one.

We will likely never agree on the par-boiling issue. It's like
beenz/no-beenz in chilli. And we will likely see people coming down
four-square on both sides. And neither side will convert the other. And
that is because we are fanatic, else we wouldn't be here.

I agree that a kitchen should not put out any dish that is not "produced
with pride". And when I worked as a production cook and when I owned a
restaurant that was the standard. And we still took shortcuts - which did
_NOT_ affect the taste or quality of the food. Some of the things I see in
commercial kitchen these days.... and some of the practices they are forced
into by the Food Kops of the Nanny State...  sigh.

But, while BBQ (and sauces) may have connection to chilies, smoking
techniques other than for making chipotles have only tenuous connection.
And that iffy connection would be in the rub (if used).

Let's go back to chilies and avert a flame war like the ambassador of
Celtic Mayhem started.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!