Re: [CH] Debate at Our House

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:10:15 -0600

At 08:38 AM 2/15/2003 -0500, =Mark wrote:
>At 10:18 PM 2/14/2003 -0600, Dave Drum wrote:
>>At 07:35 PM 2/14/2003 -0800, xtremely.fast wrote:
>>>Not trying to talk down to anyone, please understand but you did know that
>>>Tobasco is now making a Tobasco Brand Habenero Sauce?  I wasn't aware of it
>>>myself till I toured the plant a few months back.
>>>
>>>Eddie
>>
>>Have they gone into competition with Tabasco??? I've tried all of
>>Tabasco's stuff and it mostly puts me right off with that nasty sour
>>vinegar taste. There are *much* better sauces out there with much nicer
>>flavours - CaJohn's line comes to mind. Or Right Rev. J. Campbell's Mild
>>to Wild products just to name a couple of list members.
>
>As far as I know Tabasco is not in competition with Tabasco, don't really
>know how they could be.  As to the flavor, I could never understand the
>negative reaction to vinegar on this list.  I personally like vinegar and
>have at least half a dozen varieties of vinegar in my cupboard.  I don't
>mind the taste in hot sauce, but as far as cayenne type hot sauces I
>prefer Tapatio brand as it has better flavor, more heat and is half the price.

I guess I was being too subtle in pointing out that there is a difference
between tObasco and tAbasco. Going to the tObasco web site gets you
something only peripherally related to tAbasco brand products.

I like vinegar, too. Use it a lot. Heck it's 50% (more or less) of Yaaaaa
Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!. I have straight chemical vinegar (dilute acetic
acid), cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, champagne
vinegar, malt vinegar and three different ages of balsamic vinegars. But, I
*still* don't like the nasty, sour vinegar taste of Tabasco (tm) hot sauce.
'Nuff said. I vote with my wallet. I like Tapatio, too. But, no one around
in my corner of the Great American Outback here carries it (that I have
found anyweay). And the 90c/quart deal I got on the Trappey's is hard to
beat... and probably unrepeatable.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!