Re: [CH] Yatsafusa vs. Japones vs. de Arbol

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:43:19 -0500

T. Matthew Evans wrote:
> <snip> Last year, I grew yatsafusa, japones, and de arbol.  To my
 > recollection, all three plants and all three chiles were very
 > similar, but I did not taste all three side by side by side.  If
 > I were to only grow one this year, which should it be?  I have
 > the same question about trifetti vs. Bolivian rainbow – any
 > preference here?

Well, Matt, I can give you my point of view, for what its worth....

I would go with the de arbols, since we use a lot of them in Mexican
dishes, and they are the ones called for in the recipes - we know we are
getting the correct flavor for the dish.

As to the trifetti, we use it as a decorative plant in our flower beds.
  It is a small chile plant and the verigated leaves are decorative even
before the fruit is set.  We do powder the chiles, and they make a rich
tasting powder with good heat.  The bolivian rainbow we grow are a much
larger plant, and much more productive than the trifetti.  They are also
a very attractive plant in the garden when covered with fruits of all
different colors.  We also powder these, and to us they aren't quite as
flavorful, but they do have a bit more heat than the trifetti.  We do
get about quadruple the production per plant from the bolivian rainbow.

They both have their pluses, but I would stay with the trifetti for the
flavor.

Hobby Farmer