Re: [CH] Pepper contest

AndyB (quark@erols.com)
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:34:22 -0500

Glen,

I'll speak for my son, Doug, and daughter, Cindy, both chileheads.

(Doug won 1st at Bowers three times in a row.   Second to "Slim" last Sept.
 See http://www.abarnhart.com/chile/Bowers01/index.htm
 Cindy, on her first contest came in fifth.
 This was remarkable, considering the competition. )

For a fast contest (e.g. 30 sec):

First, you need to be "immune" to jalapeņo heat:   Practice on habaneros.
(Bowers used Biker Billies - much hotter and bigger than regular jals.)

Second, you must be able to chew and swallow veggies very quickly. For this you need good teeth and strong jaw muscles.  (Some  water may be needed to "flush" the mash down.)

Lastly, you can't be entirely sane.  (Many CHs would qualify on this point.)

AndyB