[CH] Moderation

Jose Cisneros (jcisn@novagate.com)
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:41:10 -0500

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:13:47 -0700
From: "VoodooChile" <rael64@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [CH] The Moderate Bandwagon!

>"Moderate CHs like to taste what they swallow."

>Ooh, some bad connotations there, eh? Okay...

>"I like chiles that make me sweat, not scream."
>(needs work)

>Chiles should make one reverent, not a sweating, hiccuping,
>flame-throwing mass of flesh.
>(naaah)

>Moderation is to Chiles as is Cleanliness is to Godliness
>(no, too religious and generally, stoopid)

And out of the murky past filtered through my sieve like memory
a phrase comes to mind that was both philosophy and a way of life
for a band called the Fuggs.
*Nextness is Godier than Cleanliness.*
(Which I think I agree with to a certain extent.)
(moderation in all things.)

Certainly for me it's moderation in peppers.
My tolerance has gone up over the years, but that's
a natural consequence of eating chile on a regular basis.
Who needs the hiccups?

I'm not sure that a banner exclaiming the virtues of moderation when
it comes to eating chile is necessary, I feel it's a bit too defensive.
And who are we defending ourselves from?
Those brave souls that eat chile until they are a sweating, hiccuping,
flame-throwing mass of flesh?
I certainly don't feel any less a chile-head because I don't do that.

In cultures where the habit of eating chile goes back hundreds years
how much heat you can eat isn't an issue except maybe to teenage boys.
How well I remember... the look of delight on my cousin's face
as he watched the tears roll down my face after I ate the serrano
that he talked me into eating as a dare.
I'm not a boy anymore and I've been eating chile for at least 50 years
if not more and I eat just enough chile to give me plesure.

Regards,

Jose